Boost your business with an Apprentice
Calling all employers – it’s time to fire up your business. Apprentices are motivated, learn on the job and develop skills and knowledge directly relevant to your business. Trust us, we know. We employ our own apprentices and working with them has been a revelation.
What are apprenticeships?
Apprenticeships are work-based training programmes built around your business needs. The programmes are designed for both new and existing employees and learning takes place on the job. Our assessors work with employers and regularly visit apprentices on the job to complete assessments and monitor progress.
Apprentices of all ages have made an active choice to learn and are committed to a specific career. The programme is an effective way of training the kind of employees your business needs.
Depending on your business, training can take between one and four years to complete, after which you’ll have a fully trained and motivated member of staff who has developed their skills around your business priorities. These qualifications include industry specific technical certificates as well as essential skills in communications, English, maths and IT.
We are currently offering apprenticeships in the following sectors:
- Education and Training
- Electrical Installation
- Motor Vehicle
Why take on an apprentice?
- Apprenticeships are an effective way of investing in the future of your business
- Apprenticeship training nurtures a motivated, flexible and loyal workforce
- The mix of training on the job with a limited amount of time spent at college means apprenticeships genuinely focus on work skills and working life
- Apprentices increase productivity and competitiveness and ensure that you always have skilled staff to run your business
What commitment is required of you and your business?
- Provide a genuine job
- Provide a Contract of Service
- Pay an apprentice wage
- Provide a total of 30 hours of work per week
- Provide Apprenticeship for 372 days
- Ensure Apprentice receives 20% off the job training
- Provide the same employee benefits
Apprenticeship Training Costs
Large businesses with a wage bill in excess of £3m are required to pay the Apprenticeship Levy (0.5% of your annual wage bill) and this funds their apprenticeship training costs.
Non-Levy paying businesses will need to pay a 5% contribution to training costs, typically £100 – £900 depending on the type and length of the Apprenticeship.
Businesses with 49 or fewer employees will not pay for training if they employ an Apprentice aged 16-18.
Why choose West Herts College?
West Herts College offers a range of Apprenticeships to local businesses and works in partnership with employers to ensure training programmes are tailored to meet their needs.
We offer a search and matching service. Whatever your needs, we can help you find suitable candidates for interview. We’ll support you every step of the way and visit you regularly to assess work and monitor the progress of our apprentices.